Thursday, March 13, 2008

Blue and Gold Banquet

Click to play
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a slideshow - it's easy!


Note: Make sure you turn off the music I have on here to hear the slideshow. And then click on the arrow buttons on the slideshow to see each picture. Sorry, my posts are getting longer and longer. Hope you don't mind!

For most of you who don't know yet, Kerry is our ward's Cubmaster. He's going three months strong and enjoys every minute of it. I think he's the first one to come along with that attitude in a long time. For March, the theme was "Recycle It". And since it was also the month we do our Blue and Gold banquet we decided to combine the two themes. Kerry constructed this beast of a recycle machine (and I named it) the Recyclotron XLE. Each scout was to put into the machine using the pizza pan door an item that could be recycled. They would then select the type of item on the dial, turn the machine on and watch it "recycle" the waste. The machine mysteriously shook (Kaylee) as it recycled the waste into their "awards" they earned for the month. They would pull the 10# can and out would come their award. Brilliant, huh? The boys were sitting there with such looks of awe on their faces. You should have seen them! The idea was very clever and Kerry did an awesome job.

Our dinner for the night was "Walking Tacos". We used no plates, only forks and recyclable bottled water (the C S in the pic stands for Cub Scouts). The chips in the Doritos bag would be crushed and topped with other ingredients right into the bag. The salad "toppings" were place into recyclable milk jugs where you would a make a taco salad. They were so yummy and the kids thought the idea was so fun and different. Everyone ate their dinner from the chip bag. The bottled water bottles were later turned into a maracca at the end of the meeting. You know, to go alond with the recycle theme.

To top off the whole night, we decided to do a cake judging contest that typically goes along with a Blue and Gold banquet. But the rules were that you had to take one cake mix only and bake it in unusual containers that could be recycled. Like old soup/bean/corn cans, tuna cans, 10# cans, etc... and then you had to create something from those objects. Which is why you see such an odd looking cake creation in our pictures. I add to apologize to Kason for this creation. But he loved it and he said to me the next day, "thanks Mom for helping me with my cake last night, you did good". Sweet boy, huh?

All in all the event was a success. Kerry is in his glory at pack meetings. He has such enthusiasm and lots of encouragement for each of the boys. Need I mention that he also currently holds the 1st Counselor position in the Elder's Quorum presidency??? What a busy man!

5 comments:

LessyDee said...

That is SOOOOOOOO awesome! It never ceases to amazes me, the extent of your creativity...yes i know you helped plan it... :)

Tell Kerry I am proud of him for his enthusiasm. Scouting is what will keep a lot of these boys out of trouble. I've seen that first hand in some boys in Tooele. So my hat's off to him for being such a great example.

Oh, one more...tell Kason that his Aunt Leslie said his cake was way way cool! (probably tasted good too!!!)

Anonymous said...

Very impressive effort. I am definately impressed with Kerry's recycle machine. It's always nice to have a calling you enjoy and are naturally good at.

A Blogging Babcock said...

Cute post. That was a fun night. In fact, I could have that dinner again. Kerry does such a good job.

Alisha said...

I wish I was still there and in Scouts. I miss the boys. It looks like you guys had a fun time. I am so happy they finally put someone in that has an awesome attitude. Tell Kerry to keep up the good job!!!

Heather said...

Yeah, that's my brother.