Monday, February 18, 2008

Our praying mantis...Mr. Green


Sometime back in December 2007 we noticed a visitor on our stucco just outside our front door. It was a praying mantis...just sitting there. After about two days of it JUST sitting there in one spot we decided to give it a name, Mr. Green. Not knowing if it had eaten, Kerry decided to round up an insect from outside around the house (which is not hard to find I might add) to see if Mr. Green would move to eat. As soon as the live cricket he caught was placed before him, his triangular shaped head turned to one side and all of a sudden his long arms SNATCHED him up in a flash!!! The kids got a huge kick out of watching that. Then Mr. Green proceeded to bite off his head and slowly but surely the poor cricket was no longer. He made a fine meal for Mr. Green that night. And some awesome, up-close nature entertainment for the kids.


Mr. Green's stay lasted 15 days, but about 7 or 8 days into his visit he had moved right next to our front door. Another 2 days had gone when I had come from home to find him pushing something out from his hind end. I was grossed out, but mismerized at the same time that I couldn't leave this "act". I wondered if this was the digested cricket but soon noticed it had a pod-like shape to it. Similar to a cocoon. The more curious I got, the more I realized I had to know what was going on. So I got on the internet and looked up some images of praying mantises. Lo, and behold, there was a picture of the same thing that was coming out of his hiney! Apparently, it's an egg sack called an "otheca". They lay them in the cold months and by spring they hatch. Mr. Green was no longer a Mr., he's a she! Mrs. Green chose our house to lay her otheca. And only stayed a few more days after that. We couldn't believe she was gone and that she was able to last through our cold winter nights. She started to become like a close family member as we greeted her everytime we passed her. Her otheca still remains by our door to this day. Hopefully, we'll be able to catch the stage of a praying mantis' life...the hatching process. Stay tuned for more to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting story. You never know when you might learn something new. your posts are great, Julie, keep it up! Can't wait to learn about Mrs. Green's babies.