She was in the yellow Star group and here's Jaynee with her two group leaders, Elizabeth and Tali:
During these two weeks she able to learn about fire safety with the one and only Smokey the Bear and she learned about McGruff the crime dog:

They talked about "Stranger Danger" with a live demonstration where someone pretended to be a stranger and he would try to get the kids come with him. He used the tactic "my puppy is lost, can you come help me find him?" and other situations where a stranger might lure them into coming with them. I remember back when Kaylee took Safety Town. She was actually lured away from the group and went with the stranger. When they told her what she had done, she was so frightened. She felt sad and was a little shook up afterwards. But I think it was a good lesson for her. This is what this program is trying to teach them though. To help them be aware of every situation.
They also learned about bus safety and water safety with a field trip to the city pool:
They learned about other topics of safety such as: kitchen safety, gun safety, electrical safety and how to call 911.
Her cousin Emily (sitting on the chair) was also a volunteer group leader. Their group leaders are all volunteers and range in age from 12-18 years of age. Kaylee is thinking about volunteering next year too. Emily didn't want her picture taken and wouldn't come any closer, but what's kind of funny about this picture is that both of these girls look like they have conversation "bubbles" above their heads. They were props hanging from the black curtain behind them.
I'm so glad that our city offers these types of programs for our kids. Their so worth it and it helps acquaint the kids with so many aspects of safety.






3 comments:
I can't wait for TJ and Courtney to go next year. When did they start the swimming though? How fun!
What a great program. I wonder if they have something like that here in slc. You can never be too careful these days.
I LOVE the picture of her by the bus. What a cutie. I can't believe she is getting ready for school. Remind me again of the date of her B-day.......:)
Post a Comment