Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Country's Founding Fathers

In the spirit of celebrating our Country's independence this past weekend. I was thinking about all the blessings we have because of the people who fought to make our country what it is today. And the people who still are fighting for our country's freedom. We are very lucky to live where we do and have what we have.

As most of you may know I have the opportunity to clean the St. George Temple at night. And I have come to really appreciate the history that this sacred place holds. There is a painting that hangs in the lobby of the temple that I've come to really appreciate more and more every time I see it. And the story behind it touched my heart deeply this past weekend as I thought about the many hardships and struggles that it took for our country to become the great place it truly is today.

This painting is of the our founding fathers appearing to Wilford Woodruff, who was the temple president at the time, in August 1877, demanding that their sacred ordinances be completed. The painting is actually in color, but I could not find a full color copy of it on the internet. And I don't think there is any available to purchase elsewhere.

The man in white is obviously Pres. Woodruff and George Washington is the man speaking to him with Benjamin Franklin standing behind him, and Thomas Jefferson to his left . There is a plague at the temple that names who each of these people (towards the front) are. The founding fathers were ones who signed either the Articles of Association, the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation or the Constitution. He and members of his presidency did the work for over 100 people including Christopher Columbus. The story and account by Pres. Woodruff goes like this:

"Before I left St. George, the spirits of the dead gathered around me, wanting to know why we did nt redeem them. Said they, 'You have had the use of the Endowment House for a number of years, and yet nothing has ever been done for us. We laid the foundation of the government you now enjoy, and we never apostatized from it, but we remained true to it and were faithful to God.' "

He later had this to say about the experience (and the part that I always get choked up) : "those men who laid the foundation of this American government were the best spirits the God of heaven could find on the face of the earth. They were choice spirits and were inspired of the Lord".


I've also been reading a small pamphlet about George Washington and his vision and prophecy for America by John Grady. He writes: He was the greatest American --a brilliant, educated, successful man who risked everything for the freedom of our country. He was a man of great moral character. He was forthright, honest, charitable and a gentle man of quiet modesty and proper deportment --considerate, kind and courteous. He was of great talent and became a land owner of some importance and considerable wealth. He was held in such respect that at the age of 21 he was made Major and Adjutant of the Virigina Militia and so distinguished himself that at the age of 23 was made Commander in Chief of the Frontier Forces of Virginia. He had a commanding appearance and was the most physically impressive of all of our Presidents, and in his prime stood over 6 feet 4 inches tall and was lean and a powerful 225 pounds. Most important of all, Washington was a man with a total sense of responsibility, unquestioned integrity and a deep devotion to God.
This painting of George Washington kneeling in prayer in the snow-covered woods of Valley Forge are based on fact. He believed that God would lead him to victory. He had a strong reliance on the Almighty and a deep belief in Divine guidance. Strengthened by a sense of duty and honor, driven by a love of freedom and a hunger for justice, sustained by faith and confidence in divine providence --George Washington would not fail. He would fulfill his destiny. This uncommon man would lead the colonial forces to victory, become the father of our country, be unanimously acclaimed our first President, and the course for what was to become history's greatest nation.

Mr. Grady, the author of this pamphlet states that it is "the personal opinion of mine, that God moulded, inspired and directed George Washington. He was, indeed, chosen to be a special man, at a special time, for a special purpose."

I believe this to be true too. Just like I believe that Joseph Smith was chosen to be a special man, at a special time, for a special purpose. Look what kind of knowledge I've gained just from seeing one painting hanging in a House of the Lord. I'm glad I was blessed with such great information. And a stronger appreciation for the building up of our country.

I'm also sorry that this post was long, but I'm glad you stuck it out. Happy Independence Day America!

3 comments:

A Blogging Babcock said...

Well said! Thanks for helping me remember the sacrifices made for our country. We are lucky to work in such a special place!

Terri said...

What a sweet testimony. I had forgotten about our founding fathers appearing to Wilford Woodruff. I'm so glad you shared this. We have "Prayer at Valley Forge" hanging in our home - inspired men of faith.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing what you have learned. I always love learning more about how our country came to be. The Lord certainly had a hand in it!